• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

"Very low" Vitamin D levels?

Georgie25

Bluelighter
I had a bunch of blood test recently done which tested me for AIDS/HEP C and another blood disorder my dad has and wanted to see if i also had the genes for it but thankfully came up negative for all 3 of those. Which was good considering I was a IV heroin user and who knows until you get tested. Anyways I did come back with bad test results about my Vitamin D levels, which the doctor said was very low. I'm wondering what this being very low would effect in my body? What causes low vitamin d levels? I do not have a good diet and havnt eaten breakfast in at least 10 years due to not waking up early. I probally consume on a average day around 1200 or less calories and I am 6 foot 138 pds. Due to the fact I have no money, food and choice of foods is very limited to me at the moment. I have started to take a multivitamin daily, will that help and in what way? How do i raise my vitamiin d levels and what do they effect? Input appreiciated!!

I'm wondering what this being very low would effect in my body? What causes low vitamin d levels?

Who ordered the blood tests? Can't you ask him/her? Don't you have a doctor? They would know this.

How do i raise my vitamiin d levels and what do they effect? Input appreiciated!!

Sun, sun, and sun. Don't get sunburned of course, but get ample sunlight (at least 30 minutes a day) on a lot of your skin.

as a previous poster stated, sunlight is the best free source of vitamin d there is. low levels of vitamin D are caused by lack of sun and/or not enough fish in your diet. you could also try something like Cod Liver oil. which is very high in D,(A and iron also) and is also just a great all around supplement. low D levels can cause depression among other problems., I have noticed when i take cod liver oil regularly my mood generally improves after a few days and i seem to have more energy. other sources of D are salmon ,markerel ,tuna,sardines. there is also some evidence to suggest low D and A can lead to lower testosterone levels. multivitamins can be good, but honestly i would stick with natural sources if at all possible.

I had a bunch of blood test recently done which tested me for AIDS/HEP C and another blood disorder my dad has and wanted to see if i also had the genes for it but thankfully came up negative for all 3 of those. Which was good considering I was a IV heroin user and who knows until you get tested. Anyways I did come back with bad test results about my Vitamin D levels, which the doctor said was very low. I'm wondering what this being very low would effect in my body? What causes low vitamin d levels? I do not have a good diet and havnt eaten breakfast in at least 10 years due to not waking up early. I probally consume on a average day around 1200 or less calories and I am 6 foot 138 pds. Due to the fact I have no money, food and choice of foods is very limited to me at the moment. I have started to take a multivitamin daily, will that help and in what way? How do i raise my vitamiin d levels and what do they effect? Input appreiciated!!

Congrats on being neg for HIV/Hep C and the blood disorder.

Low Vitamin D is caused by lack of sunlight and you can just go outside daily and go in the sun and get some free vitamin D. I also take Vitamin D supplements that you can buy OTC at any pharmacy since I live in an area where it's not sunny all the time and it gets very rainy, snowy, icy and cloudy for months at a time starting in the fall all throughout winter.

I have been hearing A LOT about Vitamin D lately. It seems to be some "Vitamin of the Year" fave among physicians. I myself had little bit lower than average Vitamin D levels and started taking Vitamin D (both supplement + sunlight), and honestly - it hasn't done a god damn thing in terms of my hypertension (which is why I was tested for it in the first place)

sunlight + fish. sardines are good as they have lots of omega 3

Supplement a good oil-based Vitamin D3 at 4000-5000 IU every day for 4 months then get yourself re-tested. Don't just sit in the sun all day as this is really bad for your skin.
Vitamin D is likely the most well researched vitamin in existence and is the only one modern science pretty much unanimously agrees one should supplement with.

Does anyone know of any Vegan sources of Vit. D, besides the sun? It's been cloudy here and I know I need more D... I don't want to resort to taking a pill.

^Vitamin D2 is vegetarian, I'm not sure about whether or not it's vegan. I'm a vegetarian and I used to have low vitamin D levels, it's good to supplement with a vitamin. When I found out I had low levels I was prescribed 50,000 IU once per week for four weeks, and I now take a multivitamin daily (which is good to do anyway), and my levels are normal.

Edit- What exactly is wrong with taking a pill? Taking vitamin pills is probably less harmfull then going in the sun to get Vitamin D.

"Vitamin D! No, no nonsense."
-- Talvin Singh, 'Abalonia'

I'm right in the midst of testing for myself whether this whole Vitamin D health fad has any validity to it. Some of my professors sure are sold on it. One claims he was exposed to bright midday sunlight with no shirt on during a spring break trip to Baja California for only 10 minutes, and he was left with an indescribably beautiful euphoric glow for the rest of the day.

Sunlight has gotten a bad rap. Unless you're albino, there's no harm in going outside for 15 minutes and sitting in the sun, every day that it's sunny during the warmer months. Vitamin D supplementation should only be necessary during the winter.

So far, I've noticed I've felt healthier since taking up this habit. But I can't attribute this to greater Vitamin D generation in my skin. After all, warm sunlight is euphoric in and of itself.

Oh, and by the way, you still make Vitamin D in your skin when you put on sunblock.

Without enough Vitamin D, you don't absorb or use calcium. Low calcium causes weak bones, muscles, and neurons.

^Vitamin D2 is vegetarian, I'm not sure about whether or not it's vegan. I'm a vegetarian and I used to have low vitamin D levels, it's good to supplement with a vitamin. When I found out I had low levels I was prescribed 50,000 IU once per week for four weeks, and I now take a multivitamin daily (which is good to do anyway), and my levels are normal.

Edit- What exactly is wrong with taking a pill? Taking vitamin pills is probably less harmfull then going in the sun to get Vitamin D.

Because the best source of vitamins is a natural source. When i see people gulp down these multivitamins that contain 500% more than needed I laugh. If you can just get a little exposure to sun everyday instead of having to take a pill, just do it. There's no easy way out.

Does anyone know of any Vegan sources of Vit. D, besides the sun? It's been cloudy here and I know I need more D... I don't want to resort to taking a pill.

As far as I know, mushrooms are the only non-animal dietary source of vitamin D.

my wife and i both had D 25 levels of like a "6" & "8" , they should of been around "100" according to that lab. we both started taking 50,000 IUs once a week, mine went up and have stayed normal after 4 weeks, she though still continues to need it after more then a year.

I think sunlight is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Well then I'm afraid you are wholly mistaken. The negative effects of prolonged UVA and UVB light on skin are certainly no mystery :\

Last edited:
Well then I'm afraid you are wholly mistaken. The negative effects of prolonged UVA and UVB light on skin are certainly no mystery :\

No, he's not. All things in moderation. The amount of sunlight that it takes to produce a sufficient amount of vitamin D is not very dangerous at all.

Well its all fine and dandy that sunlight is the greatest source, but guys I live in fucking Canada, and we are known for having fucked up vitamin D levels. T.T

The main reason I avoid taking supplement pills is not only because I can (most of the time) get nutrients from actual food, but because I've had issues in the past with supplement pills (namely ones for iron and calcium) passing through me whole and causing some massive upset along the way. Tried taking them with food, without food, with water, without water, with juice, at night, in the morning, ... *Shakes head* Yeah, supplements don't agree with my body.

Thanks for someone who posted about the mushrooms! I eat mushrooms almost daily so hopefully that helps on days when I can't get outside or when it's cloudy. It's tough when ya work third shift.